Carolyn Gregory shared the following piece titled, "School Answering Machine."
This is the message that the Pacific Palisades High School staff voted to record on their school telephone answering machine. This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework.
The outgoing message was as follows:
"Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of your school. In order to assist you in connecting to the right staff member, please listen to all the options before making a selection:
* To lie about why your child is absent, press 1.
* To make excuses for why your child did not do his work, press 2.
* To complain about what we do, press 3.
* To swear at staff members, press 4.
* To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in your newsletter and several fliers mailed to you, press 5.
* If you want us to raise your child, press 6.
* If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone, press 7.
* To request another teacher, for the third time this year, press 8.
* To complain about bus transportation, press 9.
* To complain about school lunches, press 0.
Please realize this is the real world, and your child must be accountable and responsible for his or her own behavior.