[SeMissourian.com] Fair ~ 64°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 45°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Play day at the Linn County Fair

Saturday, August 23, 2008

A week ago, my youngest son and his wife went on a short trip. Their three daughters were left here in Fort Scott, and were shuttled back and forth between the grandparents. I had the girls, ages 14, 10, and 4, on Tuesday and Thursday. Thinking this was a good opportunity to see their Garnett cousins, ages 3, 9, and 5, we had a play day at their house. Things went so well, I announced we would all go to the Linn County Fair.

On Thursday, we loaded up and made our way to the "Fun Fair," according to the four-year-old. We arrived there at about 1 p.m., only to find that we pretty much had the fair to ourselves. Right away the kids wanted to know when they could get on the rides. After some checking, I found out that they didn't start until 6 p.m., which meant we had a mere five hours to wait.

We made the best of it by touring all the livestock barns. The hit of that tour was the horse barn. In particular, one horse seemed to be craving attention as he stuck his head over the stall, allowing all six in the party to pet his nose. Having a couple of mints left over from our trip to Sonic, the horse soon discovered that the mints were pretty good, and the kids got a kick out of feeding him. By now, they were going down to the end of the barn, picking up the left over alfalfa, and feeding and petting the horse.

All of this took a couple of hours, so we took a break at the local drive-in. With time still needing to be used up, we went to the elementary school playground in Mound City, where the cousins proceeded to play for a good hour.

Hunger called, so it was back to the fairgrounds where we ate a hearty meal of chicken and noodles topped off with pie.

Finally, it was time to head to the carnival, where grandpa saw his supply of money dwindling rapidly as he bought tickets for all six grandkids. The two little ones, 4 and 5, were complaining that they wanted a wristband like the bigger kids, but I explained to them that they couldn't ride all the rides.

The whole group was particularly attracted to the booth where you tossed ping pong balls towards floating cups, and, if the ball stayed in the cup, you won a live rabbit. Not knowing what we would do with a real rabbit, they pitched the ping pong balls anyway, but, fortunately for all of us and the rabbit, they bounced away.

Finally by 7:30 p.m., I convinced them they all had enough of the "Fun Fair." We loaded all six into the van and made the trip back to Garnett, where we deposited three of the grandkids.

By 9:30 p.m., we were back in Fort Scott with everyone worn out, including Grandpa.

As they say, "A good time was had by all."

Dick Hedges
Fort Scott Community College