Harold Earl Brown

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Harold Earl Brown passed away peacefully on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012.

A funeral service will be held at Glen Oaks Memorial Park in Chico on Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 9:30 a.m.

He was born May 2, 1925, in Redfield, Kan., to George Washington Brown and Delta Mae (Wells) Brown. Earl lived on family farms raising cattle, sheep, and hogs. He lost his father at a very early stage in his life, but as the eldest son he worked hard to help support and maintain his family. As his younger brother Robert put it, "If there's one word that described Earl, it was 'steady'." Earl graduated from Uniontown High School in 1943 and promptly enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps to serve our country during World War II.

That "steady" man was a decorated "Marksman" and field artillery crewman in the 3rd Marine Division, 12th Marines, serving in the Pacific Area. He participated in action in Guam and Iwo Jima to name but a few. When asked, "Were you ever scared?" his reply was, "Nope. Didn't have time to be I guess." Then he was asked, "What was the worst part?" Response: "It was all bad." After spending one month in Iwo Jima, he returned to Guam preparing to go to Japan. He didn't go to Japan as the war ended on Aug. 6, 1945.

Following the war, Earl went back to Fort Scott, Kan., where he married Mary L. Wilson. He worked as a police officer there, but found $125 and two days off per month wasn't enough to pay the bills. He went to Ohio to learn the trade of meat cutting. Thereafter, he and Mary moved to Chico, where he worked at several markets, including Miller's, Wentz and Park Avenue Market. He also worked at stores in Los Molinos, Red Bluff, and Corning.

Earl and Mary (deceased) had three children who survive him, Steven E. Brown (Patty), Edward Brown, and Debra DiGiordano (Mike). He also is survived by his brother, Robert Brown (Marilyn) of San Lorenzo, Calif.; niece, Denise; nephews, Bobby and Gary; and two grandchildren, Casey and Tyler Brown of Ohio. Earl's sister, Roberta, predeceased him in July of 2000.

In the early 1970s, Earl married Wanda Ringwald (deceased). Her three children and their offspring also survive him.

Still having that farming blood in his veins, upon retirement he purchased a few small acres of almonds and walnuts in Durham. He was at peace walking along the rows of trees and moving irrigation pipe.

When asked what he missed about the meat business, he said, "I miss the people; the customers, my co-workers, all of them." Earl Brown was a kind, soft-spoken, gentle soul. He never had an unkind word to say about anyone. Earl was deeply proud of his three children and their accomplishments. He was as unselfish a person who has ever lived on God's green earth. When asked if he needed anything, his reply would be, "No, not that I know of." He cherished times when friends and loved ones visited and when it was time to part he'd always say, "No need to rush off." During the later years of his life, he eagerly looked forward to reuniting every Thanksgiving with his brother, Robert, Marilyn and their extended family. Those times were indeed truly special for Earl.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions be made to the American Cancer Society, in care of Brusie Funeral Home, 626 Broadway, Chico, CA 95928.

Condolences may be sent to the family online at www.brusiefh.com.