NHS grapplers place 11th at season-opening meet
LEASANT HILL — Making their season-debut at the Steve Leslie Invitational on Saturday, Nevada High School placed 11th at the 17-team event.
Kirksville came out on top, while Chillicothe, and host Pleasant Hill rounded out the top three finishers.
Competing in the heavyweight division (285 pounds), Nevada senior Caleb Longobardi concluded his afternoon 5-1 overall, en route to an individual championship. Longobardi’s lone defeat came (via pin) against Chillicothe’s Keegan Valdez.
Longobardi, however, got the last laugh, earning a 4-2 title match decision over Valdez.
In addition to Longobardi’s dandy 2018-19 debut, fellow Nevada senior Jaren Porwie placed fourth in the 160 pound weight-division, with a 3-2 overall record. Powrie has jumped in weight class for his senior campaign, having competed the past three seasons in the 145-pound division.
James Reiff, a 113-pound Nevada sophomore finished 2-3, and was able to net a fourth-place finish.
“We had several kids competing in their first varsity action, and we were pleased with their effort,” said Nevada head coach David Hawks.
Hawks said he was happy with his squad’s season-opening showing.
“It was nice to get out and compete against some other teams,” said the third-year head coach. “We were able to (identify) some of our weaknesses as a team, as well as things we can focus on this week in practice. I know the team will be up for the challenge to improve before we compete again.”
Continued Hawks: “Most of the guys that are returning to the varsity line-up are competing at new weight classes. There are adjustments that need to be made when you move up in weight class. We feel like those guys have made some adjustments. However, there are still things we can work on to reach our goals.”
Nevada High School results
• 106 pounds: Ethan Dighero (3-3) seventh-place.
• 106: J.D. Downing (3-3) sixth-place
• 113: James Reiff (2-3) fourth-place
• 120: Lane Brooks (1-4) eighth-place
• 138: Corbin Eastwood (3-3) ninth-place
• 145: Keagan LaGrassa (2-4) eighth-place
• 145: Kalen Morris (2-4) sixth-place
• 152: Brock Marquardt (2-4) eighth-place
• 160: Jaren Powrie (3-2) fourth-place
• 170: Gauge Boyd (2-4) 10th-place
• 182: Spencer Hawkins (3-3) 13th place
• 285: Caleb Longobardi (5-1) first-place
• 285: Gavin Urquidez (1-5) 14th-place
• Kirksville, 500; Chillicothe, 437.5; Pleasant Hill, 387.5; St. Joe (Benton), 359.5; Sullivan, 344; Fulton, 329; William Chrisman, 329; Clinton, 316.5; Prairie View, 308; Blue Valley Northwest 280.5; Nevada, 263; Eldon, 249; Boonville, 214; Shawnee Mission NW, 139.5; St. James, 109; Owensville, 97; Summit Christian Academy, 80.
Nevada’s junior varsity team was also present at the Steve Leslie Invitational, placing atop the nine JV teams, with 75 points.