For the safety of everyone, the Nevada Daily Mail office will be closed to the public until further notice. Payments may be placed in the drop slot. Staff is still available to assist you by phone, 667-3344.
Local businesses plan Trunk-or-Treat event (10/23/20)With the announcement by the Nevada/Vernon County Chamber of Commerce earlier this month that the group would not be facilitating this year's Safe Treats Parade on Halloween in light of COVID-19, local businesses have come together to plan a Trunk-or-Treat event...
Nevada High swim team places third at conference meet, senior Hines named Big 8 Swimmer of the Year (10/22/20)The Nevada Tiger swim team notched an impressive third-place finish at the Big 8 Conference Championship swim meet, Saturday at the Monett Area YMCA. Nevada netted a half-dozen gold medal finishes. Senior Ben Hines and freshman Cody Leung collected two apiece, while the Tigers had a pair of relay teams also capture gold...
After Hours with Mayor Knox held Thursday (10/22/20)
Lady Tiger spikers breeze past Cassville (10/21/20)In a show of strength Tuesday evening, the Nevada Lady Tiger volleyball team swept visiting Cassville in three sets. The Big 8 Conference West division victory ups Nevada to 8-16 overall, while the Lady Tigers conclude Big 8 West-play with a 3-3 mark...
Vernon County Health Department reports 22 active cases of COVID-19 (10/21/20)According to the Vernon County Health Department, the counties total confirmed cases of COVID-19 has risen to 317, with 33 probable cases, as of Tuesday, Oct. 20. Of this total, 22 are active — this includes both confirmed and probable cases. There has been a total of 325 who have recovered from COVID-19 and three deaths in the county. ...
Lyons Stadium undergoing renovations (10/21/20)Lyons Stadium, home to the Nevada Griffons and Nevada High School baseball teams, is undergoing moderate renovations. Some of the upgrades include a regraded infield, with replacement of the infield sod, and installation of a new irrigation system...
Mysterious incident under investigation (10/20/20)The Nevada Police Department is investigating a weekend incident that occurred Saturday night at the intersection of Austin Boulevard and Centennial BLVD. NPD Lieutenant Steve Bastow confirmed with the Daily Mail that a 45-yard-old male was injured, but what led up to the incident remains shrouded in mystery...
Vernon County Health Department to give COVID-19 update Tuesday (10/20/20)The Nevada Daily Mail reached out to the Vernon County Health Department for an update Monday on the county's COVID-19 statistics. "We've got one nurse here and we got swamped with flu shots today — we really just haven't had time to do it," stated Vernon County Health Department Administrator Steve Durnell. "I'm hoping first thing, tomorrow (Tuesday), it will be out."...
Comet XC runners sweep field at NCCAA event (10/20/20)The Cottey Comet cross country team was in top form Saturday, sweeping the field at the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Flacon Classic — hosted by Kansas Christian College. Taking the top five spots, Cottey was paced in the 5,000 kilomete 5K (3.1) run by sophomore Matina Ramirez's school record time of 19:29. Ramirez's performance was so dominant, in fact, she dropped her lifetime personal-best record by 24 seconds...
Door Dash activity brings joy and connection during a global pandemic (10/17/20)1While the COVID-19 global pandemic is still ongoing, many people locally have found a way to stay connected with others while staying safe. Across social media sites, groups have been created to facilitate an uplifting activity that used to be seen as a nuisance — door dashing...
- Tigers rock solid, roll over Houn' Dawgs, 39-20In their regular-season finale Friday night the Nevada Tigers steamrolled the Aurora Houn' Dawgs, 39-20. The Big 8 Conference cross-division clash moves Nevada to 6-3 overall. The six victories are their highest win total since Fall 2012. After losing star tailback Case Sanderson a week ago to a season-ending injury Nevada didn't miss a beat with its ground-game, as a heavy dose of Kaden Denney and Eli Cheaney ultimately proved too much for the beleaguered Houn' Dawgs' defense...
- Lady Tigers edged in Crossover Showdown (10/23/20)
- Comet spikers compete in St. Louis (10/18/20)
- Nevada middle schoolers sweep past East Newton on gridiron (10/18/20)
- NHS senior Fisher notches third-place finish at Class 1 state tennis tourney (10/18/20)
- Miracle at McDonald County: Nevada knocks off Mustangs in thriller, 14-13 (10/17/20)
- Lady Tigers fall to Lamar on 'Dig Pink' night (10/16/20)
- Nevada hoops star Applegate picks up D1 offers, reclassifies to Class of 2022 (10/16/20)
- Short-handed Tigers compete at Butler XC Invitational (10/14/20)
- Sheldon's Garren blazes to gold in Wheaton (10/14/20)
- Lady Tiger golf trio qualifies for state tourney (10/13/20)
Scott Russell Fox (10/23/20)Scott Russell Fox, 51, Nevada, Mo., died on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020. Scott was born Dec. 14, 1968, in El Dorado Springs, Mo., the son of Ronnie Gene Hobbs and Bonnie Jean (Williams) Ochs.
Richard (Rick) Eugene David (10/22/20)Richard (Rick) Eugene David, 67, of Nevada, Mo., died on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020. Rick was born July 1, 1953, in Fresno, Calif., to Homer E. and Martha E. David. No services are scheduled. View...
Douglas “Doug” Earl Johnson (10/19/20)Douglas “Doug” Earl Johnson, 57, of Nevada, passed away Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020, at Nevada Regional Medical Center. Doug was born on Aug. 12, 1963, to Billy Joe and Donna Kay (Beisly) Johnson in Fort...
Margie S. Long (10/19/20)On Friday, Oct. 16, 2020, Margie S. Long died at the age of 84. She was born on Feb. 18, 1936, in Ophir, Ky., to Russell and Ida Mae Smith. A private family service will be held Wednesday, Oct. 21,...
Lori Marie Hunt (10/16/20)Lori Marie Hunt, 50, Nevada, Mo., passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020. Lori was born March 1, 1970, in North Kansas City, Mo., to Ammon M. and Marlene (Brown) Hizer. She was united in marriage to...
Andrew Isaac Jeffery (10/13/20)Andrew Isaac Jeffery, 28, Nevada, Mo., was born Feb. 19, 1992, in Branson, Mo., to Richard D. and Trina C. (Heriford) Jeffery and passed away on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, doing what he loved. He had...
- Man with metal detector finds 222-year-old coin near church
- Man wins $2M after mistakenly buying extra lottery ticket
- Can't crush this: Beetle armor gives clues to tougher planes
- Woman's obituary: In lieu of flowers 'do not vote for Trump'
- Baby born on Maine island for 1st time in more than 90 years