- Rose of Sharon Home of Hope (5/27/17)
- Youth Task Force looks to future (5/26/17)
- Recovery Court graduate No. 99 (5/26/17)
- Cause of death unknown (5/26/17)
- Cancer survivor’s dinner June 5 (5/26/17)
- Cleaning time in Bronaugh (5/25/17)
- Special Olympics Torch Run (5/23/17)
- Planning commission recommends city council add Camp Clark MOU to Comprehensive Plan (5/23/17)
- Storm damage goes unreported (5/23/17)
- Hospital board adopts Long Term Care budget (5/23/17)
James Allen Glass (5/26/17)James Allen Glass, 49, Nevada, passed away on Monday, May 22, in Nevada. Jim was born Sept. 24, 1967, in Landstul, Germany, to Rex Leon and Karen Meta (Morsch) Glass. Jim grew up in Nevada where he...
Georgia E. Russell (5/25/17)Georgia E. Russell, 78, Joplin, passed away on Tuesday, May 23, at Communities of Wildwood Ranch in Joplin. Georgia was born on July 15, 1938, in Nevada, to Joe Henry and Lucy Anna (Smith) May. On...
Ray Maynard Barnes (5/24/17)Ray Maynard Barnes, 91, Nevada, passed away peacefully on May 22, at Morningside Assisted Living in Nevada. He was born in Ottawa, Kan., to Leslie and Amelia Barnes on Feb. 2, 1926. He married Melba...
Glen Harvey Foster (5/24/17)Glen Harvey Foster, a loving husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend, passed away on May 20. He was born on Oct. 31, 1938, in Montrose, Colo., and graduated from Russell High...
Roy A. Slates (5/23/17)Roy A. Slates, 63, Nevada, passed away on Saturday, May 20, at Barton County Memorial Hospital in Lamar. Roy was born March 19, 1954, in Carthage, to Glen “Gilbert” and Wilma G. (Dickerson) Slates....
Lois Darlene Houston (5/23/17)Lois Darlene Houston, age 86, a resident of rural Richards, passed away Saturday, May 20, at the St. Luke’s Hospice House in Kansas City, Mo. She was born Dec. 14, 1930, in Enid, Okla., the daughter...
Column: Remembering and honoring America’s heroes (5/27/17)By Rep. Patricia Pike Missouri’s 126th District JEFFERSON CITY, MO – As we approach Memorial Day Weekend, I am reminded of a recent trip our family made to Washington DC. One of our stops was Arlington Cemetery. I felt it was important for my granddaughters to understand more about the heroes who so selflessly gave all so that Americans could live in peace and safety...
Column: Flowers for the dead (5/27/17)On May 5, 1868, the Grand Army of the Republic established what was then called “Decoration Day” to honor the “war dead” by decorating their graves with flowers. There is no greater honor a country can give its heroes than to set aside a day to remember and honor them. We now call this day Memorial Day; and although it used to be observed on May 30 for those who died in the Civil War, we now observe it on the last Monday in May, decorating the graves of those who fought in any war...
Column: Happy Memorial Day! (5/26/17)It’s finally here! One of my favorite holidays, second only to Thanksgiving, Monday will be Memorial Day. Many people gather with their families for the long weekend. I hope that will be the case with all of you. Some of my favorite memories are spending Memorial Day weekend at my grandmother’s farm. My family and I lived in Wichita and all of my cousins lived in Missouri so holidays were always get-togethers for the extended family...
Letter to the Editor: What courteous drivers (5/26/17)Dear Editor: This is a thank you to the drivers in Nevada for being so courteous at the crosswalk at Cottey College this past week when we were there for Vacation College. Never did I hear any rude remarks or horn honking while we took time to cross Austin Street. We were not as fast as regular Cottey students might be, but we were given time to make it across safely. Thank you, Nevada drivers for this courtesy!...
- Nevada High grad Johnson awarded MFA scholarshipNevada High School standout student-athlete Jacob Johnson was awarded a $2,000 scholarship from the MFA Foundation. Johnson received the scholarship May 19 at Nevada High’s Senior Night awards ceremony. According to a press release from MFA, the scholarship is “one of approximately 340 presented this year by MFA Incorporated, MFA Oil Company, and their affiliates. The release also states the scholarship was sponsored by Producers MFA Agri Service...
- Local youth hone skills at Tigers’ basketball camp (5/27/17)
- Big changes in store for Nevada Youth Football (5/27/17)
- Bank Fishing: A time-honored tradition for Missouri anglers (5/27/17)
- Lady Tigers’ middle school hoops camp slated for early June (5/26/17)
- NHS baseball collects accolades (5/26/17)
- Cameron crushes competition, defends Oklahoma State Invitational title with 14 stroke victory (5/26/17)
- NHS student-athletes recognized at baseball banquet (5/26/17)
Hunting LeaseLooking to lease a place to deer hunt. Most likely 3 hunters but depends on the size of the property. Please call Zack @ 918-781-9990
Childcare NeededHello, I am in need of a childcare provider that can watch my 2 daughters before and after school. I have 2 girls ages 10 and 12 I would need them taken and picked up from school daily along with meal prep and light housekeeping. Please send me...
MiscellaneousSTRAW FOR SALE: small square bales $3.50 each, large 5'x6' round bales $35 each, 417-684-5324.
MiscellaneousOLD PHOTOGRAPHS copied and restored. Ralph Pokorny Photography, 221 E. Pacific St. Nevada, MO. 417-667-2112.